12/04/2007

Hyderabadi Biryani Preparation Video

My mum used to make chicken or lamb biryani on special occasions. It's the one dish that I really, really miss and I’m sure I'm not the only one in my family who does, as she hasn't made it for a while.
I remember one time she made huge vats of it for an Anglo-Indian Dance in Northolt that took the whole night before but it’s one of my fondest memories as our neighbors were over with bottles of red wine flowing and the jokes cracking with odd Indian but not Indian accents, as we were cooking these huge pots out in the back garden in our tent. Everyone took turns stirring the brew it really felt like witches of Southall making their potions. All of us kids were running in an out in the dark garden and into the wonderful spicy scented tent.
I personally have never made this dish and I’m about to try, as tomorrow is my housewarming party. I’ll also be making some fish fry and I think a vegetable curry. Wish me luck and why not try it for yourself!

0 comments: